Saturday, May 1, 2010

2 + 24 cents worth.



Yesterday was interesting. I found 26 cents in the parking lot as I was leaving an AA meeting. That's 1/10 of the way to a green tea at The Coffee Shop. Like I said, interesting. I've had a copious amount of thoughts buzzing through my head as of late, and I'm not sure what to do about it. So naturally, I'm blogging.

Over the past few weeks, I've heard sad stories. Stories of neglect, abuse, abandonment and just plain sorrow. These stories have come from loved ones, friends, classmates, coworkers, patients and the like. These stories have made me wonder about happiness. Maybe "The pursuit of happiness" isn't what it's all about. Maybe, that motto, that most Americans strive to flesh out in daily life, just leads to greater discontentment. Maybe life isn't supposed to be happy. Maybe, just maybe, life is tragic with a few happy moments peppered in.

While I was rollerblading yesterday, I was thinking about the notion of weeping. In Joel, the Lord declares "Yet even now, return to me with all your heart,
with fasting, with weeping, and with mourning; and rend your hearts... Return to the Lord your God, for he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love."

If indeed we are to endear ourselves to the heart of God with tears, hunger pains and sorrow, why do we still pursue happiness? Happiness is but fleeting, but the joy of God is everlasting. I'm pretty sure this blog is confusing, but I'm starting to think that maybe my focus in life is off. Not saying that being happy is a bad thing, but perhaps that should not be the focus of my pursuits. Maybe, being broken is where it's really at. I'm still thinking.

1 comment:

  1. Your blog reminds me of this video I saw not too long ago. Let me know what you think.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGMG_PVaJoI

    ReplyDelete