Monday, February 14, 2011

Learn, learning, learned.



Last night, as I was about to surrender into sleep, my eyes shot open.

Awake from a thought I had had, I knew that imminent sleep was no longer possible. The thought seemed silly and I couldn't figure out where it had come from. It was as if it had just been dropped into subconscious and made a big splash when it landed.

The thought was this: if I were to become terminally ill, who would stick with me? Out of all the relationships in my life, who would put their life on pause to visit me, to love me? Family was a given. But after that, the numbers were realistically small.

My thoughts then migrated to this: who would I put my life on pause for? Who means so much to me, that regardless of their state or condition, I would make the effort to show them how much I care? And of these people, do they know today, in their well-being, how much they mean to me?

Here I am, in the library, less than 12 hours later, and there is more irony in those words than I would care to admit.

Lesson from today: If you love someone, let them know.

No comments:

Post a Comment